Johnny's Software Saloon

Weblog where I discuss things that really interest me. Things like Java software development, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Macintosh software, Cocoa, Eclipse IDE, OOP, content management, XML technologies, CSS and XSLT document styling, artificial intelligence, standard document formats, and cool non-computing technologies.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germantown, Maryland, United States

I like writing software, listening to music (mostly country and rock but a little of everything), walking around outside, reading (when I have the time), relaxing in front of my TV watching my TiVo, playing with my cat, and riding around in my hybrid gas/electric car.

Sunday, August 01, 2004

Maven Plugins

If you are wondering what makes Maven so impressive, check out the list of Maven Plugins that comes with it. In addition to these 80-100 standard ones, there are other ones you can also get for free from other open source projects.

Having a really capable automated build that does more than just compile your Java code, generate javadocs, and jar it up is a necessity on just about any real Java project.

The fact that such tools as Apache Maven, Apache Avalon Magic, Krysalis Centipede, and Apache Forrest, exist - seems to be missed by most developers. However, they are very visible out on the web. Many projects are using them.

I think that most enterprise IT projects just use plain, old, bare ANT and create everything by hand from the ground up.

Maybe that will change as these things get better known by corporate Java programmers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Related pages & news