Johnny's Software Saloon

Weblog where I discuss things that really interest me. Things like Java software development, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Macintosh software, Cocoa, Eclipse IDE, OOP, content management, XML technologies, CSS and XSLT document styling, artificial intelligence, standard document formats, and cool non-computing technologies.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germantown, Maryland, United States

I like writing software, listening to music (mostly country and rock but a little of everything), walking around outside, reading (when I have the time), relaxing in front of my TV watching my TiVo, playing with my cat, and riding around in my hybrid gas/electric car.

Friday, April 28, 2006

Ruby

People have been asking what Ruby is good for and who uses it. There are plenty of websites using Ruby today. Many of them use AJAX, one of the most popular features on the web today.

Sketchup, the powerful 3D model designing/editing tool that Google recently bought and now distributes for free, uses Ruby.

Ruby programmers will be pleased that there is a Sketchup API for Ruby. Ruby programming can be added to run directly from the application's menus.

Sketchup Ruby API and Console:
SketchUp contains a Ruby application
programming interface (API) for users who are familiar with (or want to
learn) Ruby scripting and want to extend the functionality of SketchUp.
This interface allows users to create tools, menu items, and other macros,
such as automated component generators, to be included in the menus within
SketchUp. In addition to the API, SketchUp also includes a Ruby console
which is an environment where you can experiment with Ruby commands or
methods .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Related pages & news