Johnny's Software Saloon

Weblog where I discuss things that really interest me. Things like Java software development, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Macintosh software, Cocoa, Eclipse IDE, OOP, content management, XML technologies, CSS and XSLT document styling, artificial intelligence, standard document formats, and cool non-computing technologies.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germantown, Maryland, United States

I like writing software, listening to music (mostly country and rock but a little of everything), walking around outside, reading (when I have the time), relaxing in front of my TV watching my TiVo, playing with my cat, and riding around in my hybrid gas/electric car.

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Torvalds On TiVo - Forbes.com

Forbes carried a very interesting article on Linux progenitor Linus Torvalds' take on TiVo. TiVo devices use Linux open source software as their operating system.

Linus fields questions on the TiVo, problems or at least complications that DRM can lead to, and how DRM and GPL v3 can possibly clash.

It is an interesting article and pretty astute for a business magazine. Both Linus and the interviewer seem pretty savvy.

Torvalds On TiVo - Forbes.com:
TiVo uses the open source Linux operating system in its digital video recorders and gets a lot of heat from people in the Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) community because those boxes aren't as open as hackers would like them to be.

Oddly enough, however, Linus Torvalds, who created Linux and oversees its development, isn't among the complainers. In an e-mail interview with Forbes, he explains his position.
Technorati tags: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Related pages & news