Johnny's Software Saloon

Weblog where I discuss things that really interest me. Things like Java software development, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Macintosh software, Cocoa, Eclipse IDE, OOP, content management, XML technologies, CSS and XSLT document styling, artificial intelligence, standard document formats, and cool non-computing technologies.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germantown, Maryland, United States

I like writing software, listening to music (mostly country and rock but a little of everything), walking around outside, reading (when I have the time), relaxing in front of my TV watching my TiVo, playing with my cat, and riding around in my hybrid gas/electric car.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Want me phone number? Here is how to get it.

I get an average of one wrong-phone-number call every day at my home.

About half the time, they just hang up after I pick up and say who I am and ask if I can help them.

Some of the time, elderly people who speak heavily accented broken english that I can barely understand answer. It is harder to convince them they have called the wrong person. The dissimilarity between the name John and the drastically different name they ask for does not sink in very quickly.

The bulk of the wrong-number calls I receive that are not the hang-up-and-answer type are asking for females.

Which is how I figure you can so easily get my number. The next time you meet a strange girl/woman for the first time, and ask for her number - you know you are not going to get her number. She is giving you my number. Take a clue!

Do us both a favor. Just follow her home. Better yet, be amazingly intelligent. Give her your phone number.

Why?

Because of the two groups, guys are a lot less likely to lie and give out a phony number. If they don't feel like giving it out, they will just say no. As in in no - not as in short for number, and here it is.

This is one courtship ritual that is totally backwards.

Girls should get guys phone numbers. They can call them the first time. There will be a lot less wrong numbers given out and a lot fewer ticked off neighbors.

After the first call, then it can be on the guy to make all the phone calls. Smart solution, huh?

Now, if it is not the case that women are lying about their phone numbers a lot, then all these calls are kind of spooky. That means I am living in a part of my state where there are a lot of people who extremely frequently cannot accurately dial a 7-digit phone number. Something I have had no problem doing since I was about 7 years old. I dial a wrong number every now and then. But it is extremely infrequent.

Back to the people who are misdialing. This could also explain why there are so many traffic accidents. If people cannot dial a phone accurately when they are at home or at work, then how the heck are they going to do it while they are driving???

Anyway, if you run across your house ten times a week to answer bogus calls that are not for you - you start to get a little irritated.

So girls. Stop giving guys you just met your number. Stop giving him my number. Just get his number if you want to talk to him.

Guys, be polite and give girls your number if you want to talk to them on the phone in the future. They want to call, they'll call.

Don't call me - let them call you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Related pages & news