Johnny's Software Saloon

Weblog where I discuss things that really interest me. Things like Java software development, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Macintosh software, Cocoa, Eclipse IDE, OOP, content management, XML technologies, CSS and XSLT document styling, artificial intelligence, standard document formats, and cool non-computing technologies.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germantown, Maryland, United States

I like writing software, listening to music (mostly country and rock but a little of everything), walking around outside, reading (when I have the time), relaxing in front of my TV watching my TiVo, playing with my cat, and riding around in my hybrid gas/electric car.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Ruby books outselling Python books at O'Reilly

I was surprised to see this news item today.


Rails takes Ruby higher than Python: "

Tim O'Reilly crunched the numbers from BookScan and the results are stunning. Ruby book sales have exploded. In total, Ruby is up 1,552% over last year in the same period. That's one thousand, five hundred, and fifty two percent. Holy smokes. It's insane!



To bring that number into perspective, Ruby books are now selling better than Python books. Which of course is the first time that ever happened. And that language was not even standing still. Python is up 20% over last year. At the same time, Perl is down 3%, Java down 4%. So its no wonder we have a feeling that the duo of modern, dynamic languages are taking off. It's because they are!




(Via Loud Thinking.)



I have been programming in Python off and on since around 1997. At the moment, it is probably my favorite scripting language.

Lately, I have been studying Ruby.

I guess I am not the only one who is!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Related pages & news