Johnny's Software Saloon

Weblog where I discuss things that really interest me. Things like Java software development, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Macintosh software, Cocoa, Eclipse IDE, OOP, content management, XML technologies, CSS and XSLT document styling, artificial intelligence, standard document formats, and cool non-computing technologies.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germantown, Maryland, United States

I like writing software, listening to music (mostly country and rock but a little of everything), walking around outside, reading (when I have the time), relaxing in front of my TV watching my TiVo, playing with my cat, and riding around in my hybrid gas/electric car.

Monday, February 27, 2006

Listening to the news, for a change

Paying attention to the tech news for software architects is not only a good idea - it is essential.

Just look at the landscape of software today compared to 5 years ago.

How many software decision-makers and programming experts are still not aware of Borland's announcement earlier this month that it is getting out of the programming tools market that has been its main thrust since its inception in the mid-1980s?

How many IT managers do not know there are better programs out there for free in many cases than the constantly varying set that comes with new computers, and the ones that cost oodles of money?

I have found 2 very good podcasts of late for keeping up with software industry and related technology news.


  1. C–net

  2. Diggnation



They are available from the sites above. Or, you can do what I usually do, and listen to them on your TV via the Yahoo software for the TiVo players.

The cool thing about this is I can be studying a programming book while I listen. I can't really focus on both things at once, but I can just sort of monitor the podcast until they talk about something I am interested in.

Podcasts still haven't gotten to the point where you can tick off what particular items you want to listen to yet. You listen to shows on an episode-by-episode basis.

The C-Net podcasts have had some of the most informative and stunning news stories for me so far.

The Diggnation podcasts are a lot more interesting, with more personality from the presenters and a brisk coverage of a lot of items in a less-than-one-hour weekly show.

Small wonder their stories are the most interesting, since they are picked from their Digg.com web site - which tracks the most interesting technology news stories! It works.



Technorati Tags:
, ,


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Related pages & news