Johnny's Software Saloon

Weblog where I discuss things that really interest me. Things like Java software development, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Macintosh software, Cocoa, Eclipse IDE, OOP, content management, XML technologies, CSS and XSLT document styling, artificial intelligence, standard document formats, and cool non-computing technologies.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germantown, Maryland, United States

I like writing software, listening to music (mostly country and rock but a little of everything), walking around outside, reading (when I have the time), relaxing in front of my TV watching my TiVo, playing with my cat, and riding around in my hybrid gas/electric car.

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Mac News: Apple News : Apple's Bangalore Plans Fuel IT Outsourcing Debate

Discussion continues about Apple's recent announcement of its plan to open a call center in India.

Mac News: Apple News : Apple's Bangalore Plans Fuel IT Outsourcing Debate:
"Apple Computer's (Nasdaq: AAPL) Latest News about Apple announcement last week that it plans to open a new call center in Bangalore, India, has stirred the debate, once again, over outsourcing Latest News about Outsourcing of high tech U.S. jobs.


With the move, Apple joins Dell (Nasdaq: DELL) Latest News about Dell, which last year opened a call center in India amid much criticism, and IBM (NYSE: IBM) Latest News about IBM, which is increasingly moving jobs to the subcontinent and has said it may employ as many as 50,000 workers there in the coming years.


'Apple has gained millions of new customers in the last year and we are building a call center in India to help meet our growing service and support needs,' said Steve Dowling, an Apple spokesperson."

The article goes on to say such moves have recently proven to offer some short-term cost savings - but at the expense of profits. Meaning, it has turned out to cost some companies more revenue than the cost-cutting measure saved.

It cites Dell as a victim of the effects of worse customer service after they moved call centers to India.

Apple has said the workers at the call center will be Apple employees.

Personally, I had better customer service from a call center in India once than I got at the local Apple Computer store. I was calling to see if an Apple Macintosh Powerbook had arrived from the shipper yet that morning.

According to that store's employee, it had not arrived yet. However, a helpful Indian woman working at Apple's customer support call center informed me the computer was delivered a couple hours earlier that day.

She gave me the shipper's tracking number, and I verified it myself. Confronted with that, when I called the store immediately, afterward they confessed that it had arrived earlier and they had not bothered to look at the packages that arrived that morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Related pages & news