Johnny's Software Saloon

Weblog where I discuss things that really interest me. Things like Java software development, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Macintosh software, Cocoa, Eclipse IDE, OOP, content management, XML technologies, CSS and XSLT document styling, artificial intelligence, standard document formats, and cool non-computing technologies.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germantown, Maryland, United States

I like writing software, listening to music (mostly country and rock but a little of everything), walking around outside, reading (when I have the time), relaxing in front of my TV watching my TiVo, playing with my cat, and riding around in my hybrid gas/electric car.

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Apple is hiring!

In the past couple weeks I have heard of a couple top-notch Macintosh Mac OS X application programmers who got hired by Apple.


The latest, Blake, is joining the Aperture team at Apple. Fitting, since he wrote MUPhotoView and just released MUPhotoView 1.0 two weeks ago.

A nice GUI component, it gives a a pane much like the photos browse pane in the Apple iPhoto application.


I just pray Apple hires an XML guru to clean up their XML file formats by writing RELAX NG schemas, Schematron rules, or even DTDs for them all.

Having RELAX NG file (preferably .rnc) and a Schematron rules file would be awesome - but having nothing really sucks!

Sorry, but it is true. Having XML file formats which are just informally documented - with no means to automatically validate their semantic contents ...sucks.

Checking for well-formedness is not enough. That is like checking to make sure none of the characters in a plain text document are 8-bit US-ASCII with the high bit clear. Instead of what most people really want, which is a spell-checker and/or a grammar-checker!

Freaking A, would you turn in a memo to your boss with tons of spelling errors on it? Then he calls you on it, you meekly reply - at least I did not set the high bit on any of the character bytes...? I think not!!


XML is not even an arcane science or difficult proposition. I cannot figure out this not having grammar and/or rule-based schemas for such complicated programs as word processors, presentation programs, etc. After all, it would make the unit-testing, regression-testing, and QA go so much smoother.

The way I see it, all those angle-brackets in XML are stabbing your eyes whenever you look at it. You might as well take advantage of the salve of schemas/DTDs to get the health benefits of all the software tools they enable.

The word processor is just one of many tools Apple has come out with in the past several years which does not have a schema for its XML file format. I am not a big fan of the XSD (W3 XML Schema) file format but the other 3 formats I named are really good. Simple, but very powerful and not as COBOL-like as a .xsd file is.


I am glad to see Apple is hiring some really sharp Mac programmers. I hope they continue to do so.

Along the way, I hope they hire an energetic, suave, savvy XML guru who gets their shop on the right track with XML.

2 Comments:

Blogger John Collins said...

Obsequious satire page by a Microserf: mildly amusing.

Photo of 3 palettes 2 GHz dual-processor G5 Apple Macintosh computers being delivered to the loading dock at Microsoft headquarters: priceless.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3341689/


Even if it did get the Microserf photographer fired.

1:17 AM  
Blogger John Collins said...

I can assure you, Apple is not endorcing (sic) anything.

It is not even a word.

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Related pages & news