Johnny's Software Saloon

Weblog where I discuss things that really interest me. Things like Java software development, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Macintosh software, Cocoa, Eclipse IDE, OOP, content management, XML technologies, CSS and XSLT document styling, artificial intelligence, standard document formats, and cool non-computing technologies.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germantown, Maryland, United States

I like writing software, listening to music (mostly country and rock but a little of everything), walking around outside, reading (when I have the time), relaxing in front of my TV watching my TiVo, playing with my cat, and riding around in my hybrid gas/electric car.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Canadian Music Creators Coalition: A New Voice

There is a new organization that has been created to speak out against the commercial recorded music industry: Canadian Music Creators Coalition: A New Voice.

Supposedly, it is made up of some big name Canadian music artists themselves - including Avril Lavigne and Sarah McLachlan.

I just read about this recently, so I have no idea if these artists are actually members of CMCC or not. The web page clealy states they are. I guess I will come back and check next month to see if those names are still there.

I guess if they are, then there will probably have been some shakeup in the record industry or some changes in the group's stance. Right now, they don't seem too compatible.

If you find the article interesting, be sure to Digg the announcement about it that was recently posted so other people see it.

I am sure if it turns out to be a hoax, the comments section for that entry on Digg will wind up containing some explanation. And if there are new developments, they will probably show up in the comments too.

In the end, I think everyone wants the same thing fundamentally: artists to be able to make a living creating and performing music, and possibly get rich along with their partners and investors in the music recording industry.

It is clearly how to go about that which is the same thing generating such discord and disagreement. It looks like the schism over the answer to that question is growing into a major fault line.

Artists clearly have ample reason to by unhappy with things that are done in their name in the wake of their work. Clearly they want a relationship with their fans that is social and not purely commercial. The social side of that relationship, and their reputation, has clearly been harmed by recent actions.

It is their own personal birth names or stage names that are being slapped on thing that are hurting people who have made them their heroes. That cannot go on for long without major fallout.

Looks like the artists are getting crushed in the process.

I don't have a dog in this fight but I do have some artists that I consider myself a fan of who I like quite a lot. It pains me that their reputations have been traded on by strangers in order to satisfy their greed.

Maybe that is a kind of illegal trading too. Eh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Related pages & news