Johnny's Software Saloon

Weblog where I discuss things that really interest me. Things like Java software development, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Macintosh software, Cocoa, Eclipse IDE, OOP, content management, XML technologies, CSS and XSLT document styling, artificial intelligence, standard document formats, and cool non-computing technologies.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germantown, Maryland, United States

I like writing software, listening to music (mostly country and rock but a little of everything), walking around outside, reading (when I have the time), relaxing in front of my TV watching my TiVo, playing with my cat, and riding around in my hybrid gas/electric car.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Joe Friend: Microsoft Office Word : Blogging from Word 2007

Microsoft might be intending to include some blogging support in Microsoft Office 2007 as one of its features.

That sounds like a nice idea. I see they do not support quite as many of the blogging services as the current blogging client I use does.

However, the Microsoft prototypes a WYSIWYG interface. The application I use does not. And though I have been writing directly in HTML for well over a decade - that does not mean I prefer it! Writing/editing markup by hand is something you do not mind doing once or twice a month. However, you do not want to be doing it several times a week, no matter how technical you are. It is kind of a PITA.

So, I for one am glad Microsoft is stepping forward to make blogging easier.

What I wish was out there was a standards-compliant blogging tool that featured WYSIWYG, really good cutting-edge XHTML/CSS/SVG features, maybe with a little Javascript/Canvas interactive glitz thrown in too. Nobody has hit the sweet spot yet with functional/efficient/useful/pretty blog bling (fancy sidebar and bottom panel stuff that glitters/shines) yet.

But, hey. Baby steps. Baby steps. People have to learn to tie their shoes, let alone learn there are shoes, before they can run. There was a tribe that just came out of the jungles of South America last month that was on the news last week. They were unfortunately driven out by warring guerrilla factions, wouldn't you know it. But the thing that is neat about it - was how much they loved shoes. In the jungle, your feet hurt a lot they said.

Next year, more people on the web will be discovering shoes. Or at least blogging.

Joe Friend: Microsoft Office Word : Blogging from Word 2007:
We've been working late into the nights and very late into our development schedule for Word 2007 and we have a special goody for all you bloggers in Beta 2 of Office 2007. That's right blog post authoring from Word. This is a very late breaking feature and is definitely beta software. That said, I hope that everyone is pleasantly surprised with where we are going with this feature.
Technorati tags: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Related pages & news