Johnny's Software Saloon

Weblog where I discuss things that really interest me. Things like Java software development, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Macintosh software, Cocoa, Eclipse IDE, OOP, content management, XML technologies, CSS and XSLT document styling, artificial intelligence, standard document formats, and cool non-computing technologies.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germantown, Maryland, United States

I like writing software, listening to music (mostly country and rock but a little of everything), walking around outside, reading (when I have the time), relaxing in front of my TV watching my TiVo, playing with my cat, and riding around in my hybrid gas/electric car.

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Rethinking Schools - Just For Fun - Map Game

My grasp of geography in junior high school was proven to be pretty weak.

Basically, I knew that the world was a sphere, which put me ahead of some people in the world - but not by much.

Also, I knew the names of all 50 states in the U.S.A.

So I guess that has saved me from asking, upon meeting someone from Wyoming, So, what is it like - living in Europe?

Anyway, tonight I took a test on the geography of the Middle East.

Let us just say I did not do good. Took me 2-3 times to get Egypt, a couple to get Sudan, Saudi Arabia I got in just one or two tries. I got Iran pretty quickly and Iran probably took a couple.

The 'stans, alas, did not go well, even once I found the region where they are clustered.

I think I am going to make it a goal to learn where at least 50 countries are by the end of this decade.

In the meantime, drop by Rethinking Schools - Just For Fun - Map Game and try it out.

The way I see it, either you will do way better at it than I did - or you will be far more knowledgeable afterwards than you are now. Either way, you can't lose.

Technorati tags:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Related pages & news