Johnny's Software Saloon

Weblog where I discuss things that really interest me. Things like Java software development, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Macintosh software, Cocoa, Eclipse IDE, OOP, content management, XML technologies, CSS and XSLT document styling, artificial intelligence, standard document formats, and cool non-computing technologies.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germantown, Maryland, United States

I like writing software, listening to music (mostly country and rock but a little of everything), walking around outside, reading (when I have the time), relaxing in front of my TV watching my TiVo, playing with my cat, and riding around in my hybrid gas/electric car.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

knocked over utility posts in the area

My neighborhood has some weird people in it. So weird things happen here that I have not encountered anywhere else that I have lived in my life.

I will not bother to list them all but the list is now considerable.

The latest problem is that my Internet connection for my computer has been dropping frequently this week. As many as around 8 times yesterday.

Perhaps not coincidentally we have not one but two downed short, little utility posts along the main street through our neighborhood.

One of the posts is smashed off at ground level and completely missing. A conduit sticks right up out of the ground about 8 to 10 inches up in the air. No pieces of the post housing on the ground, so it must have been broken quite a while.

The other post is lying on its side. A bunch of insulated cables snake up from a hole in the ground to the post which is lying more than several inches away from where it had been installed.

A neighbor told me the latter one had been lying down like that for a couple of months.

I am pretty munch an indoor person. I like to read, study, listen to music - sometimes watch a show or DVD. You do not do those things outdoors.

I have experienced a growing number of nuisance problems ourdooors in recent years. I finally started getting vigilant after finding a mob of a dozen people I had never seen before sitting in my yard after dark two months ago.

After I caught these trespassers by surprise, I started looking around the neighborhood. I noticed more weird problems, like these downed/missing posts.

After a couple of failed attempts to report the problem with the posts, I finally got through to the right person at the phone company today. They are sending someone out to look at the problem and make necessary repairs.

I guess the lesson here is you have to be very alert to what is going on outside in your neighborhood. There are people around doing thing you can never imagine a person doing.

Some people do not respect your property or communal property.

If you never go outside at night and you do not take a close look at things by day then you can never get anything done about the damage they do.

I never saw going outside and checking my yard and my neighborhood as one of my chores before but now I do.

Hopefully, by getting all of these problems addressed - eventually the people responsible will stop, move away, or have a long overdue encounter with the law and be removed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Related pages & news