Johnny's Software Saloon

Weblog where I discuss things that really interest me. Things like Java software development, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Macintosh software, Cocoa, Eclipse IDE, OOP, content management, XML technologies, CSS and XSLT document styling, artificial intelligence, standard document formats, and cool non-computing technologies.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germantown, Maryland, United States

I like writing software, listening to music (mostly country and rock but a little of everything), walking around outside, reading (when I have the time), relaxing in front of my TV watching my TiVo, playing with my cat, and riding around in my hybrid gas/electric car.

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

cutting back on web/internet subscriptions

I started using the Internet nearly fifteen years ago.

When I first started using it there was not much on it. That was years before Google came along. Even before Netscape - let alone Mozilla - existed.

In fact, Yahoo did not exist until 1995 - and I started using the Internet before that!

Mainly, I used the Internet for email, to learn new things, and to practice creating HTML. I got very good at that.

Later, since I am a software developer, I used it to learn newer programming techniques/languages, as a reference, and learning about the "latest stuff".

When social web came out, I tried it out.

I joined a dozen or so social web sites so I could learn some things.

Good ways to do user interface design. Good, handy features for a web site to include. What kind of features were becoming pretty much expected of web sites. And finally, to get or record a little useful information for my own sake.

A few years ago, I noticed my email inbox was getting glutted with unread emails from news from several news sites.

So l started unsubscribing to those newsletters and as of last year I stopped getting any such daily or weekly news summaries.

I think now I am at with the web where I was with email news subscriptions a year or so ago.

This week, I have been cutting back on the amount of information I gradually got subscribed to on the web itself.

A phenomenon I have noticed is that when you first start using a social web site, you tend to subscribe to a lot of stuff. That is because you are exploring. You are in "learning" mode.

Then you settle in to sort of a "use" mode. You already know how the site works, you are using what you know to get useful information out of it or maybe even put some useful information into it. You might add a few more people or whatever to the list of what you are tracking.

But each year, you use that site less and less. Until finally, you are just visiting that site a few times a year.

There comes a time where you just need to go back and gut the excess tracking items you have set up. That is what I have done.

I think I am in the kind of final stage of early-adopterdom. The "been there, done that" stage.

A fair number of sites I have used a lot in the past half decade are still around and still pretty good sites.

However, they are just things I would use once in a great while. Most of the social web sites I checked out and used a lot back when they were new, I just visit once every few months or a couple of times a year now.

I wonder if that matches the experience of a lot of people who started checking out the "social web" when it popped up in the early/mid-2000s?

For me, I think that the web is going to go back to being what it was for me in the beginning . That is, a place to get technical information about writing the latest kinds of programs, and to practice and showcase that expertise.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger John Collins said...

I subscribed to Twitter early in the summer. I had been aware of it for years but ignored it because it did not seem useful.

I decided to check it out. It seems okay. I took it a step further and added a Twitter addon to my browser.

The problem is, it started interrupting my concentration every half hour or so with a personal note from someone or mention of some news topic and often a link to some unknown page. The inscrutability of tiny URLs can be annoying sometimes.

So in the interest of GTD, I have turned off that automatic popup feature. Fortunately, the addon let me easily do that.

I'm starting to weigh the idea of slashing the number of Twitter users I monitor. Seems like I went overboard if there are multiple tweets coming in every half hour.

A few a week would be more like a reasonable quantity.

It would be really nice if you could keep a contact list of twitter users. However, not implicitly be monitoring all of them.

It would be nice to be able to selectively deactivate/reactivate your reception of each individual person.

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Related pages & news