Johnny's Software Saloon

Weblog where I discuss things that really interest me. Things like Java software development, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Macintosh software, Cocoa, Eclipse IDE, OOP, content management, XML technologies, CSS and XSLT document styling, artificial intelligence, standard document formats, and cool non-computing technologies.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germantown, Maryland, United States

I like writing software, listening to music (mostly country and rock but a little of everything), walking around outside, reading (when I have the time), relaxing in front of my TV watching my TiVo, playing with my cat, and riding around in my hybrid gas/electric car.

Monday, August 02, 2004

Plone - Open Source Content Management System That Is Not Written in Java

Plone is a content management system written on top of the Zope portal and web application server. Both are open source and both are written in Python.

It is not necessary to know Python in order to customize or use either Plone or Zope. However, to do utterly unique things in them, of course you will need to use some Python to do that.

However, standard forms, fields, security, workflow, file formats, and all that stuff - has already been programmed. So you do not need to use Python in order to do that.

Plone supports WebDAV so the documents placed into its CMS are available not just from the web user interface but also through the WebDAV mount point.

Plone's appearance can be customized by altering is customizable CSS stylesheet.

Plone seems like a pretty good system. It is mature too. It is already on version 2.0. Zope has been around even longer, of course. Zope is one of the best known applications written in Python. Plone may be on its way to joining it.

Plone has standard installer for it. So installation on both MS-Windows, Mac OS X, and I suspect other operating systems as well - is quite simple.

Plone is easy to figure out how to use. I did it late one Friday night after I got home from work and had dinner. I installed it, configured it with a couple of accounts, and started putting documents into it. Very easy.

These days, with the technology getting so powerful - yet so plentiful - it is not hard to find a way to do something. It is hard to keep track of all the ways you have found though! Plone makes this much, much easier to do. For that reason, I like it very much. In time, I will probably customize the appearance of it on my computer. Not because I need to, since it already looks great by default - but because I can and because it looks easy to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Related pages & news