Johnny's Software Saloon

Weblog where I discuss things that really interest me. Things like Java software development, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Macintosh software, Cocoa, Eclipse IDE, OOP, content management, XML technologies, CSS and XSLT document styling, artificial intelligence, standard document formats, and cool non-computing technologies.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germantown, Maryland, United States

I like writing software, listening to music (mostly country and rock but a little of everything), walking around outside, reading (when I have the time), relaxing in front of my TV watching my TiVo, playing with my cat, and riding around in my hybrid gas/electric car.

Monday, February 27, 2006

Data on Deadly Dates?

Another murder came to light this month of a young woman, 27 this time, who was killed on a Baltimore highway while on a date with a man she met online.

Initially, the number of these incidents involving a certain site did not seem particularly high.

However, now there seems to be a lot of repetition. Being alone or riding off in a car with someone you have never met in person before seems like a dangerous strategy.

Probably, nobody knows how many dates are the outcome of online versus face to face meetings. I have not seen any figures trying to correlate the two in the news reports, and I suspect that is why.

At this point, it is still pretty hard to put the online factor in perspective.

In the previous incidents, there were all kinds of warning signs the guy the woman was going out with was not a grade A candidate.

In this case, however, things were different. The woman was not out with a guy that was much older than here - slightly younger, in fact. He was a college student. He had no previous criminal record.

Probably the only clue something in his behavior could turn violent is his personality. That is not something you can look up in a book or in a document.

You have to meet someone and get to know their friends first before you really know them. And that is kind of a Catch-22.



Technorati Tags:
,


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Related pages & news