Johnny's Software Saloon

Weblog where I discuss things that really interest me. Things like Java software development, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Macintosh software, Cocoa, Eclipse IDE, OOP, content management, XML technologies, CSS and XSLT document styling, artificial intelligence, standard document formats, and cool non-computing technologies.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germantown, Maryland, United States

I like writing software, listening to music (mostly country and rock but a little of everything), walking around outside, reading (when I have the time), relaxing in front of my TV watching my TiVo, playing with my cat, and riding around in my hybrid gas/electric car.

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Google Notebook

The new, free Google Notebook website that just went live this week is a god-send.

I have been using it since around lunchtime today to begin doing a better job, and have an easier job, of keeping track of a lot of the standardized languages and file formats that I use.

It seems quite good.

The idea of glancing at the current selection on a web page, and its URL, and saving the information somewhere is not that radically clever or brilliant.

What is, is that it works very nicely.

Not only does it work with aging browsers from the start of this decade, but it also works with Firefox 1.5, which just came out a matter of months ago.

Google once again has demonstrated that their programmers are really up on things and not still ilving in the 1990s.

The company has been around since then, but they seem to approach every new project with a fresh, really up-to-date perspective.

In just part of a day, Notebook has become a key tool in my on-going efforts to keep track of information I need to be able to go back and refer to.

The only thing I wish it had, that I do not see yet, is tagging my notes with keywords, and rating my notes based on imortance/significance or whatever.

My thought is that a lot of people will start using this really fast. It will probably wind up getting recognized as Google's most quickly adopted service to date.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Related pages & news