Johnny's Software Saloon

Weblog where I discuss things that really interest me. Things like Java software development, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Macintosh software, Cocoa, Eclipse IDE, OOP, content management, XML technologies, CSS and XSLT document styling, artificial intelligence, standard document formats, and cool non-computing technologies.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germantown, Maryland, United States

I like writing software, listening to music (mostly country and rock but a little of everything), walking around outside, reading (when I have the time), relaxing in front of my TV watching my TiVo, playing with my cat, and riding around in my hybrid gas/electric car.

Monday, May 01, 2006

Ruby on Rails on Oracle: A Simple Tutorial

Last month was a banner one for Ruby On Rails, perhaps due to the recent release of Rails 1.1. Or perhaps because Ruby On Rails is hitting the web/database application field like an implacable tsunami.

Anyway, Oracle's web site published an article on Ruby On Rails programming, as well as Apple's web site.

The Oracle article shows how to use Ruby On Rails to write a program that communicates with an Oracle database. The Apple article shows how to write a Ruby On Rails application on Mac OS X.

I cast about for a Ruby On Rails article at Microsoft but I was unable to lay my hands on one with a quick look.

Going back to the Ruby On Rails tutorial article at the Oracle website, it is nice and short. It shows how to create a Ruby On Rails application to operate on a specific SQL database. The reason it is short is because you do not have to write Ruby code to do it. The application is created by Ruby On Rails for you.

Richard Monson-Haefel:
While the Product Catalog example showed how easy it is to create a very simple application using Rails, it%u2019s not all that useful except for tracking inventory. You can create much more complicated Web applications with Rails, but that will require that you jump into the code a bit, which would require some study. Rails is an easy framework to work with, but like any technology it takes time to master. At this point, I can only recommend Rails to technically-savvy individuals and development teams who are embarking on %u201Cgreen-field%u201D application development. If you don%u2019t fall into this rough category, I wouldn%u2019t recommend using Rails until the tooling has matured.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Related pages & news