Johnny's Software Saloon

Weblog where I discuss things that really interest me. Things like Java software development, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Macintosh software, Cocoa, Eclipse IDE, OOP, content management, XML technologies, CSS and XSLT document styling, artificial intelligence, standard document formats, and cool non-computing technologies.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germantown, Maryland, United States

I like writing software, listening to music (mostly country and rock but a little of everything), walking around outside, reading (when I have the time), relaxing in front of my TV watching my TiVo, playing with my cat, and riding around in my hybrid gas/electric car.

Sunday, June 11, 2006

the amazing, self-cleaning Wikipedia

Remember those old commercials for self-cleaning ovens?

Well, I have seen the self-cleaning action of the Wikipedia for myself, today.

Some childish person decided to wipe out the Wikpedia page for some person of historical significance. They tried to replace it with a stupid phrase repeated over and over.

It fit the Wikipedia definition of a vandalized page.

Less than an hour after I noticed it, someone had repaired the damage. They restored the page to its original pristine contents.

Wikipedia has reported how all kinds of people had tried to damage pages, including even some low-ranking government staffers.

Each time, the pages seem to get fixed.

I guess it works for the same reason we have civilization instead of anarchy. Some people would rather have anarchy than order. But they are so much in the minority that they just keep losing out.

Humans create things that are worth having, and then protect them.

It is what we do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Related pages & news