Johnny's Software Saloon

Weblog where I discuss things that really interest me. Things like Java software development, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Macintosh software, Cocoa, Eclipse IDE, OOP, content management, XML technologies, CSS and XSLT document styling, artificial intelligence, standard document formats, and cool non-computing technologies.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germantown, Maryland, United States

I like writing software, listening to music (mostly country and rock but a little of everything), walking around outside, reading (when I have the time), relaxing in front of my TV watching my TiVo, playing with my cat, and riding around in my hybrid gas/electric car.

Friday, June 02, 2006

Laszlo Systems Named to the SD Times 100 @ SYS-CON Media

When I first stumbled across Laszlo about a year ago, it was harnessing two workhorses in a familiar pattern: Javascript+XML=GUI.

Several years before, the product that eventually became Yahoo Components did that. Dashboard widgets, likewise, use the same combination.

The difference was that the end product when using Open Laszlo was a Flash component. While sometimes that is nice, sometimes that is not what you want.

I was excited to see a few methods back that Open Laszlo now includes DHTML-based AJAX as an alternative target. The nice thing about it was, you do not have to develop your components differently.

Your Javascript code and XML metadata definitions remain the same, regardless of which target you want.

Knowing it was theoretically possible - but having been disappointed by similar claims elsewhere in the past - I decided to try some of the examples. They really did work when using AJAX instead of Flash.

So, I filed Open Laszlo away in the back of my mind as something interesting and possibly worth using for richer web form GUIs in the future.

This week I had the wisdom of that opinion confirmed not once, but twice.

First, a couple of days ago, I discovered there was an OpenLaszlo Rails Plugin available for Ruby an Rails. Then, tonight I noticed Laszlo Systems had just won an award from SD magazine.

SYS-CON Media:
Laszlo Systems, the original developer of OpenLaszlo, the leading advanced open source platform for building and deploying Ajax applications, has been named as one of the 100 leading innovators in software development by the Software Development (SD) Times.

This is one of those easy-to-use programming solutions that takes a couple good ideas, and it just snowballs.

While the developers of this component technology could have just sat on their laurels when they got their Flash-only solution working, they did not do that. They kept going and made components that use their tool and APIs able to work with Flash or AJAX. Thus, which one actually gets used for a web page is more of a tactical choice.

That nicely does away with the risk of vendor lock-in to Flash, or any transitory issues that might arise when using AJAX technology. If one does not work in a particular environment or situation, the other is available - without having to redevelop a custom component all over again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Related pages & news