Johnny's Software Saloon

Weblog where I discuss things that really interest me. Things like Java software development, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Macintosh software, Cocoa, Eclipse IDE, OOP, content management, XML technologies, CSS and XSLT document styling, artificial intelligence, standard document formats, and cool non-computing technologies.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germantown, Maryland, United States

I like writing software, listening to music (mostly country and rock but a little of everything), walking around outside, reading (when I have the time), relaxing in front of my TV watching my TiVo, playing with my cat, and riding around in my hybrid gas/electric car.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

started trying out Flock tonight

I decided tonight to give Flock (the social web browser) a try.

Glad I did. I had this idea that installing Flock would somehow interfere with my Firefox settings, since they shared a common code base. I need not have worried. They store their settings in different folders on the Mac, so there is no problem there.

The blogging client that comes with it, is what I am using write now to enter this post.

The blogging module seems pretty nice. It has:

  • WYSIWYG rich text word processing (font-styling, etc.)
  • supports bullet an numbered lists

I had been toying with the idea of writing a Swing-based Java client appilcation as GUI front end to all my blogs or buying Ecto. I kind fo was favoring the first solution but I am already spending my spare programming time doing someting else. Looks like now I can keep doing what I was doing. Flock seems good enough for my purposes.

I am really looking forward to Flock getting finished.

Here is the reason: I could see my mom getting a kick out of this, once it is done.


I am cautious making any software recommendations to my mom, so I shy off from recommending programs that are still in beta to her. In fact, I usually try the final release for a while before I am confident enough to push it across the table to her. I figure if I recommend something to her that adles the wits of her computer, she is not going to listen to me the next time I recommend she does - or does not - run something. Depending on how serious it is, that could be bad.

I think I will recommend this to some of my friends. Some are already using it, of course. The ones that are not might find it kind of useful. They might not want to bother to wait for the 1.0 release either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Related pages & news