Johnny's Software Saloon

Weblog where I discuss things that really interest me. Things like Java software development, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Macintosh software, Cocoa, Eclipse IDE, OOP, content management, XML technologies, CSS and XSLT document styling, artificial intelligence, standard document formats, and cool non-computing technologies.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germantown, Maryland, United States

I like writing software, listening to music (mostly country and rock but a little of everything), walking around outside, reading (when I have the time), relaxing in front of my TV watching my TiVo, playing with my cat, and riding around in my hybrid gas/electric car.

Saturday, May 20, 2006

ComputerPartner - JavaScript evolution to follow Python, creator says

Some fascinating things are mentioned in the following article about Javascript.

ComputerPartner:
For the future, JavaScript will follow Python. "We're going to learn from Python. JavaScript is pretty close to Python," Eich said. Python 2.5 is being tracked, he said.


The main points of interest for me were:
  • Firefox 2 is due out this year
  • Firefox 2 will include Javascript 1.7 (I had not even realized there was a Javascript 1.7 spec)
  • Firefox 3 will be out in 2007
  • Javascript language will start being majorly influenced by Python, especially Python 2.5


I would love to see Javascript borrowing some things from Python. I have been using Python as my favorite object-oriented scripting language from 1997-2006. From 2006 on, I think I favor Ruby but I still have a lot of affection for Python. I do not see myself as any kind of Python apostate.

The news about an improved Firefox (2.0) with an improved Javascript (1.7) being just months away really pleased me.

The capability of Firefox 1.5 to support visualization, modeling, business intelligence, reporting, graphical navigation, data exploration, direct-object manipulation, richer MVC interactions, better blocking of functionality, and a whole new breed of software documentation is here.

From what I have read elsewhere, version 2 of Firefox is going to be pretty nice. The Places feature sounded interesting. A couple other things caught my eye.

For example, the built-in screen scraping feature is a mixed blessing, I think. I regard it with a combination of joy and dread. Joy over what it will let me do, fear over what other people will wind up forcing me to do - not with it but because of it. Time to go back and read that Dale Carnegie book again!

Technorati tags: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Related pages & news