Johnny's Software Saloon

Weblog where I discuss things that really interest me. Things like Java software development, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Macintosh software, Cocoa, Eclipse IDE, OOP, content management, XML technologies, CSS and XSLT document styling, artificial intelligence, standard document formats, and cool non-computing technologies.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germantown, Maryland, United States

I like writing software, listening to music (mostly country and rock but a little of everything), walking around outside, reading (when I have the time), relaxing in front of my TV watching my TiVo, playing with my cat, and riding around in my hybrid gas/electric car.

Thursday, August 24, 2006

ordered JavaScript: The Definitive Guide, 5th Edition last week

Hey, I just bought the 5th edition of Flanagan's famous JavaScript book.

oreilly.com -- Online Catalog: JavaScript: The Definitive Guide, Fifth Edition:
The indispensable reference for JavaScript programmers since 1996,
JavaScript: The Definitive Guide, Fifth Edition is completely revised
and expanded to cover JavaScript as it is used in today's Web 2.0
applications.


JavaScript programming has become pretty much de rigeur these days so now I am trying to go from just knowing it to doing some wicked-cool things in it.

I have had write some AJAX-enabled web pageson my to do list for quite some time.

When the book arrives sometime in the next few days, I can really go to town.

By the way, I really liked his 4th edition of the book. Between it and a few web pages I googled, I was able to navigate the incompatibilities between IE and Firefox JavaScript.

I was amazed to see how far IE strayed from the Firefox/Mozilla/Netscape definition of the Event class. To say they have nothing in common except for the name would be pretty close to the truth.

The core DOM API methods/classes, thankfully, were much more compatible. I would say I was pretty much successful with my goal of compatibility without a lot of trial-by-error, so to speak.

Technorati tags:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Related pages & news