Johnny's Software Saloon

Weblog where I discuss things that really interest me. Things like Java software development, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Macintosh software, Cocoa, Eclipse IDE, OOP, content management, XML technologies, CSS and XSLT document styling, artificial intelligence, standard document formats, and cool non-computing technologies.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germantown, Maryland, United States

I like writing software, listening to music (mostly country and rock but a little of everything), walking around outside, reading (when I have the time), relaxing in front of my TV watching my TiVo, playing with my cat, and riding around in my hybrid gas/electric car.

Sunday, December 20, 2009

just saw a Chrome commercial by Google

Looks like Google has revved up their advertising machine for their Chrome browser.

I just saw a commercial for it this evening. I tried out the new Mac-compatible beta out today. Fast and W3 standards compliant are how I would summarize my immediate positive impressions.

It seems to run as fast as the latest Firefox 3.5 and Safari 4. I have not run any benchmarks.

I am curious when Google is going to improve the support for native Mac UI features like Safari has. The Mac provides a system-wide Dictionary and other text processing services that set it apart from other operating systems. Adding support for them to Chrome will make it far more attractive to Mac users.

I am also curious about getting Java support.

In general, this is a most impressive first beta for a web browser to a new platform.

Labels: , ,

Related pages & news