Johnny's Software Saloon

Weblog where I discuss things that really interest me. Things like Java software development, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Macintosh software, Cocoa, Eclipse IDE, OOP, content management, XML technologies, CSS and XSLT document styling, artificial intelligence, standard document formats, and cool non-computing technologies.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germantown, Maryland, United States

I like writing software, listening to music (mostly country and rock but a little of everything), walking around outside, reading (when I have the time), relaxing in front of my TV watching my TiVo, playing with my cat, and riding around in my hybrid gas/electric car.

Friday, January 13, 2006

Installed PyDev Plugin In Eclipse 3.1

I installed a Python development plugin in Eclipse this morning. The one I chose looks pretty mature and is compatible with Linux, Mac OS X, MS-Windows, etc.

I am using the PyDev plugin. It supports a lot of code templates, an outline view of the module you are editing, debugging, etc. It seems like it does a pretty thorough job of supporting the Eclipse features you would hope it did.

Boy, development is so much nicer today than it was on my first job. On that one, we had a dedicated minicomputer and there was only one editor - the one that came with it. It was an incredibly weak one. There was no WYSIWYG, no windows, no mice. It was not fun.

That whole system was proprietary. It was closed source.

Back in school, we had a Multics system. It was proprietary but it was open source. Every Multics came with all the source code for everything. Every user had access to all the source code. They included the kernel source, the source for the compilers, the command line shell, the editors, everything. It came with text editors but later I got to use emacs on it.

On my second job we used Unix. Again, a proprietary system. We did not get the source code but a lot of it was written by university graduate students who wrote their programs as C.S. projects. Some of these were open source. Some of these were built on other ones.

The open systems I used before and after my first jobs kicked that closed system's ass.

I really like having tools like Eclipse and its wonderful add-ons at my beck and call. Sure beats the old days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Related pages & news