Johnny's Software Saloon

Weblog where I discuss things that really interest me. Things like Java software development, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Macintosh software, Cocoa, Eclipse IDE, OOP, content management, XML technologies, CSS and XSLT document styling, artificial intelligence, standard document formats, and cool non-computing technologies.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germantown, Maryland, United States

I like writing software, listening to music (mostly country and rock but a little of everything), walking around outside, reading (when I have the time), relaxing in front of my TV watching my TiVo, playing with my cat, and riding around in my hybrid gas/electric car.

Friday, January 06, 2006

November/December 2005 Software

The end of 2005 is looking like an unbeatable quarter in terms of gratuitous software releases!

During the last 2 months of 2005 those of us glad to be able to enjoy cross-platform and Mac-only software were deluged with much appreciated software updates.

We got Ruby on Rails 1.0, Firefox 1.5, Thunderbird 1.5, Camino 1.0 (beta 2), and OmniGraffle 5.1, and OmniOutliner 3.5!

From time to time, I ask people why they do not try the Macintosh. They kind of hang their head a little and explain that they have to be able to run their apps.

The Mac has great desktop productivity software, all the apps you could want to
stay in contact with your friends/coworkers/relatives, Microsoft Office, and its own only-available on Macintosh applications. What more software could you want?

Then they say they need to play games. I say that the Mac has hundreds of games. They say, no - they want more. What, thousands?

If you are going to play thousands of games, what do you want a computer for? When will you have time to do anything serious with it?

I guess if you want a computer to stay in touch with people and produce/organize stuff you want a Mac. If you want to play thousands of computer games, you want a PC.

Anyway, the software is here. If someone told you there was no cool software for the Macintosh, I suggest you walk into an Apple retail store and see what the good folks at Apple have brought about for people who want to play games and do other stuff too!

Unlike, some platforms, the Mac has tons of top-notch developer tools that are free or extremely inexpensive.

So, as many applications as there are right now for the Mac - there will be even more by the time you read this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Related pages & news