Johnny's Software Saloon

Weblog where I discuss things that really interest me. Things like Java software development, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Macintosh software, Cocoa, Eclipse IDE, OOP, content management, XML technologies, CSS and XSLT document styling, artificial intelligence, standard document formats, and cool non-computing technologies.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germantown, Maryland, United States

I like writing software, listening to music (mostly country and rock but a little of everything), walking around outside, reading (when I have the time), relaxing in front of my TV watching my TiVo, playing with my cat, and riding around in my hybrid gas/electric car.

Friday, January 13, 2006

Revelations in the Chi of Apple Products

I learned some useful things about Apple this winter. About Apple products, that is.

In-Ear Headphones for iPod.



I cannot use the ear buds that come with the iPod for very long because my ear cannals are small - and they are not. The In-Ear Headphones on the other hand, fit me very comfortably.

However, they are a little brittle. You can actually break them from carrying them around in the hip pocket of your pants with some other stuff in there. It takes a while but eventually it happens. Trust me, I know.

Solution is simple. Do not carry them around loose. Keep that plastic case that they come in. Put them back in that case - which is patented, by the way - before putting them in your pocket. Pay attention to how they were placed in the case when you bought them too, so you can get them back in again easily.

Learned that lesson myself this month. My In-Ear Phones finally broke from riding around too much in my pocket. As of last night, I am on my second pair.

Apple Remote and Front Row Software



You cannot use it unless you have one of the new iMac G5 computers that comes with the integral iSight camera. Bummer! I do not so I cannot. Oh well. Who trusts a computer that has a cam and a mic in it and is connected to the Internet all the time, anyway? Seems like an odd arrangement of technology. At least I think so.

Apparently the IR sensor for the remote is only built into this new iMac G5 model. You would think Apple could come out with an IR receiver with a USB interface, right? Well, not yet, I guess.

Too bad. It's a cool product. I looked at some of those remotes in person last night. Very sleek. Man, those Apple hardware guys can design some sleek stuff!

Those Geniuses Really Are Geniuses!



At least, they do have special powers.

One night a couple months back I was trying to decide if I should buy an extended warranty for my iPod. I wanted to know how close it was to my first year being up because once your year is up you cannot buy it. I figured if I had two months or less to go I would get it.

Turns out the guys at the Genius Bar can look that information and more out for you on a little strip of of thermal paper, just like the cash register receipts. In fact, the Apple store employee who got mine printed out for me printed all the products I had bought this year at that store. They include part number, warranty end date, and - if applicable - the serial number. Sweet.

Apple has always been a little extra impressive to me. I was a tech at an Apple dealer back in the early 1980s. Their repair guides were really sweet. They had instructions, flowcharts, technical notes, and memorandums in them. They were great.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Related pages & news