Johnny's Software Saloon

Weblog where I discuss things that really interest me. Things like Java software development, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Macintosh software, Cocoa, Eclipse IDE, OOP, content management, XML technologies, CSS and XSLT document styling, artificial intelligence, standard document formats, and cool non-computing technologies.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germantown, Maryland, United States

I like writing software, listening to music (mostly country and rock but a little of everything), walking around outside, reading (when I have the time), relaxing in front of my TV watching my TiVo, playing with my cat, and riding around in my hybrid gas/electric car.

Monday, January 23, 2006

Ruby RDoc Dashboard Widget for Developers

I just made a neat discovery. There is this cool Dashboard widget for the Mac called Ruby RDoc Widget.

I have been using it for a month or so to look things up about the Standard Libraries that come with Ruby. Well, tonight I discovered you can configure it with just a couple mouse clicks to show the Ruby On Rails documentation as well.

Anyway, for people who have Macs and do Ruby programming, I think they will really like this tool. And, judging by all the Ruby books I have bought and the screencasts I have seen, a lot of Ruby programmers use Macs to write their software. Apple was kind enough to include Python, Ruby, Perl, PHP, every popular command shell interpreter, C, C++, Objective-C, and Java with the Macintosh. So that is probably somewhat the reason for the draw Mac has for programmers.

For those that do not have Macs, there is something kind of like Dashboard called Yahoo Widgets. I went to the Yahoo Widgets Gallery just now - and there do not seem to be any Ruby documentation widgets for it at all. So I guess those people using MS-Windows will have to look bookmark the Ruby and Ruby on Rails documentation at their respective websites, unfortunately.

If anyone knows a Ruby programmer who has an Apple Macintosh, they might want to get them to show them this widget. It is pretty sweet. Looking at the screenshot of it on its home page, they are not really going to get a feel for how clean and readable it is.

Perhaps the content is available as a WinHelp file. I have never seen a WinHelp file that looked this crisp and clear, though. I guess I am just grateful to have a Macintosh.


Technorati Tags:
, ,


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Related pages & news