Johnny's Software Saloon

Weblog where I discuss things that really interest me. Things like Java software development, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Macintosh software, Cocoa, Eclipse IDE, OOP, content management, XML technologies, CSS and XSLT document styling, artificial intelligence, standard document formats, and cool non-computing technologies.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germantown, Maryland, United States

I like writing software, listening to music (mostly country and rock but a little of everything), walking around outside, reading (when I have the time), relaxing in front of my TV watching my TiVo, playing with my cat, and riding around in my hybrid gas/electric car.

Friday, August 25, 2006

any year now - only 8 years behind

My interest in the JavaScript programming language has been rekindled of late.

There is a historical timeline of the JavaScript language in renowned computer programming language author Davad Flanagan's blog.

IE 6.0 ships with JavaScript 1.3, which of course is older/smaller/weaker than JavaScript 1.6 that was defined around 2004 and was supported in Firefox 1.5 when it came out in 2006. It is certainly even older/smaller/weaker than JavaScript 1.7 which will be supported by Firefox 2.0 when that browser ships in a couple of months (around October 2006).

I knew all that.


Here is what I did not know. JavaScript 1.3 came out in October 1998, when Netscape released the Netscape 4.5 web browser.

That was just 3 years and a few months after JavaScript and Java made their world debut in the Netscape web browser in mid-1995.

Basically, back then - JavaScript was a toddler.

I am really surprised to see such an old version toddling along in any currently distributed version of a web browser nearly 8 years later. One straggler from a commercial OS company still does, however.

A ton of stuff has changed a lot in the past 8 years. But some things have not, apparently.

I think the country and the world owes quite a lot to the champions of progress at Netscape corporation, Mozilla group, and now the Firefox/Thunderbird projects.

Not to mention David Hyatt who now works at Apple on the Safari web browser and codeveloped the beginnings of the Firefox web browser with Blake Ross.

These people have changed the world.

Well, most of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Related pages & news